Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Arcade Joystick

This idea has been a long time in the cooker. I've been wanting to put together an Arcade style joystick since my Commodore days. I finally just did it:

I ordered one of these from amazon:

"Easyget Zero Delay Pc Arcade Game Joystick Cabinet DIY Parts Kit for Mame Jamma & Fighting Games Support All Windows Systems - Color Black Kit"

It came today:




The unboxing.


It came in a bunch plastic bags.

Here are the parts fanned out.


A blurry one of me testing the joystick without the buttons on my computer before assembled it.


I found these on thingaverse. I printed them, but one of them snapped. I'm reprinting it with a higher fill density.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:723554

Raspberry Pi Arcade Stick Console



Crude markings for drilling.


The pieces drilled.

A trip to Ace hardware and I was ready to sand, paint, and assemble.

I thought I would test out some paints on the bottom piece which isn't very visible once assembled.

Here is the painted version without assembly.

Mostly assembled. I drilled holes for the joystick but after putting the hardware in I noticed the D-stick bumped one of the edges of the wall. instead I used some wood screws and re-centered stick.

Here we go hooked up. You can see the keyboard underneath. I'm going to add a wrist rest next.

After some advice from my long time friend I stumbled upon the joytokey software to get things working for games which don't support standard joysticks.

http://joytokey.net/en/

The joystick parts from amazon cost me 25 dollars and 10 dollars worth of search history sold to "Bing" for Amazon gift cards.

We had the wood left from a crib to outdoor couch project.

Then I spent about 10 dollars at Ace Hardware.

The risers I 3d printed from a giant orange spool of .175 I ordered for around $13 so I'll go ahead a say about .$.50 worth.

Total out of pocket $35ish. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment